Grant Writing Manager
Location: Fully Remote, on East Coast time zone
50CAN: The 50-State Campaign for Achievement Now, is a nonprofit organization that works at the local level to advocate for a high-quality education for all kids, regardless of their address. We develop local education leaders by providing them with the research, tools, and ideas needed to create learning environments that best meet every child’s needs. 50CAN operates campaigns in Connecticut, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Tennessee and is led by CEO & Founder Marc Porter Magee.
Manager of Grant Writing Overview
A member of the 50CAN national team, the Manager of Grant Writing is a critical position on the development team. The person in this role will be charged with ensuring revenue targets are met by producing high-quality written materials (primarily LOIs and grant proposals) and sourcing/evaluating new prospects. This position has a heavy emphasis on grant writing and requires a passion for crafting clear and compelling narratives in close partnership with 50CAN network leaders. We are looking for someone who also demonstrates strong organizational skills and a strategic approach to surfacing new donor leads. While we value specific experience with grant writing, we are also interested in exploring candidates with demonstrated professional experience as a lead writer and an understanding of the fundamentals of nonprofit development work. The Manager of Grant Writing is a virtual position and reports directly to the Vice President of Strategic Growth.
Key responsibilities include:
- Write, copy edit, and provide strategic guidance on all development materials, such as grant proposals, LOIs and concept papers; project manage the drafting and submission process
- Collaborate with finance team to craft and submit strong financial materials
- Take final ownership of quality of grant materials before they are submitted
- Work in partnership with national communications team to ensure alignment on external communications
- Maintain a bank of standardized language for proposals and other donor-facing materials
- Regularly meet with teams to understand their work and local context; in partnership with other development team members, build and execute on annual development plans, including ambitious fundraising goals
- Gather, track, and evaluate campaign metrics data to present compelling narratives of our impact to funders and other stakeholders
- Generate new prospecting strategies and regularly surface new donor leads leveraging prospect research software, public filings, and internal data; partner with local and national leadership on growth strategies
- Other projects, as assigned or collaboratively developed
Who you are
We are seeking a candidate with a passion for and significant professional experience in roles emphasizing writing. We are also looking for someone who is detail-oriented, organized and relationship-focused. The ideal candidate is:
- A superb writer with proven ability to consistently deliver error-free, clear, and compelling written work. The ideal candidate will have a track record of delivering exceptionally strong writing, as well as the ability to copy edit their work (and the work of others). Experience in grant writing specifically is valued, but we are open to candidates with other professional writing experience (communications, journalism, etc.). In addition to being strong in this area, you must be excited to dedicate a significant portion of your time to crafting grant requests, as this work will make up the majority of the role.
- Experienced with prospect research and donor cultivation strategy. In addition to pursuing renewed support, the person in this role will lead our efforts to identify new prospective donors (institutional and individual). An ideal candidate will feel comfortable understanding the nuances of our work across the network and supporting senior leaders with crafting donor cultivation strategy in partnership with the VP of Strategic Growth.
- A keen listener, strategist and relationship-builder. The person in this role will be expected to capture the nuances of local work and varied donor interests in their writing. A strong candidate will be able to speak to their ability to gather information from a range of different stakeholders, strategically develop narratives, and adjust course as needed.
- Detail-oriented and systems-driven. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in project management and comfort in managing up, down and across to ensure deliverables are met on schedule.
- Fast-paced, urgent and high-capacity. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work quickly under pressure and maintain a significant workload on an ongoing basis. Experience in fast-paced environments is strongly preferred.
- Driven by strong values, integrity, and humility. Our core values (“PORCH”) are plussing it, optimism, relentlessness, candor and humility. The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to the mission in a culture defined by those values, a sense of humor, a “roll up your sleeves” work ethic and a willingness to do what it takes.
Working At 50CAN
This position is fully remote with a starting date as soon as possible. The salary range for this position is $60,000 - $80,000 and will be determined based on experience and qualifications. This role will require some travel for full-staff retreats and other planning sessions (<10% of time).
In addition, 50CAN offers a comprehensive benefits package. 50CAN is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply. Full compliance with our organization's policies regarding COVID-19 includes the requirement that all new hires are to be fully vaccinated.
How to apply
Interested applicants should apply through 50CAN’s BambooHR portal here. Please submit your current resume and cover letter through the BambooHR portal.