Location: Fully Remote, on East Coast time zone
50CAN: The 50-State Campaign for Achievement Now is a nonprofit organization that works at the local level to advocate for a high-quality education for all kids, regardless of their address. We develop local education leaders by providing them with the research, tools and ideas needed to create learning environments that best meet every child’s needs. 50CAN is headquartered in Washington DC and operates campaigns in Connecticut, Delaware, Denver, Georgia, Hawaii, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina and Tennessee.
Development Manager Overview
As a key member of the national team, the Development Manager partners closely with the development team to ensure revenue targets are met through traditional and digital fundraising avenues. There is a heavy emphasis on grant writing. This person is fantastic with writing, systems, research, process, procedure and tools that have helped them achieve fundraising success. This person is a great storyteller and is able to bring clarity, inspiration, and persuasion to our development work. The Development Manager is a virtual position and reports directly to the Vice President of Development.
Key responsibilities include:
- Write, copy edit, and provide strategic guidance on all development materials, such as grant proposals, interim and final reports, blog posts, social media content, brochures and other materials
- Take final ownership of quality of grant proposals and reports before they are submitted, ensuring consistent, high quality materials
- Plan and execute online fundraising appeals throughout the year, supporting campaign leaders to increase the number of small individual gifts received annually
- Collaborate with development team to develop reports to interpret and track performance of the online giving program
- Sustain and grow online giving and monthly giving programs with particular focus on small and medium individual donors
- Prospect for new donors as directed using prospect research software, public filings, and internal data
- Gather, track, and evaluate campaign metrics data to present compelling narratives of our impact to funders and other stakeholders
- Use Bloomerang, Expedition, Donorsearch and other advocacy tools
- Other projects, as assigned
We are seeking a candidate with 5+ years of grant writing or development experience, who is detail-oriented and organized. In addition, the ideal candidate is:
- A superb writer with proven ability to consistently deliver error-free, clear, and compelling writing. The ideal candidate will have a track record of delivering exceptionally strong writing, as well as the ability to copy edit their work (and the work of others).
- Experienced with building an individual donor base. The candidate has successfully created an individual donor base and has run online giving campaigns.
- Detail-oriented and systems driven. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in managing and creating highly detailed, organized systems across multiple projects.
- Fast-paced, urgent and high-capacity. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work quickly under pressure while maintaining strong attention to detail, including some evening hours as necessary. Experience in fast-paced education non-profits strongly preferred.
- Driven by strong values, integrity, and humility. Our core values (“PORCH”) are plussing it, optimism, relentlessness, candor and humility. The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to the mission in a culture defined by those values, a sense of humor, a “roll up your sleeves” work ethic and a willingness to do what it takes.
How to apply
This position is remote with a starting date as soon as possible. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. 50CAN offers a comprehensive benefits package. To apply, submit your resume, cover letter and two writing samples of your own original, unedited work product at this link. We strongly prefer that at least one writing sample be related to a funding proposal or report. Please redact any proprietary, confidential and/or sensitive information from your writing samples.
50CAN is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.