Director of External Affairs
GeorgiaCAN is a locally-led education nonprofit that seeks to identify and advance common sense policies that put the needs of students first. We engage local stakeholders—from community members to policymakers—to advocate for student success throughout the entire public education system.
GeorgiaCAN is a part of 50CAN: The 50-State Campaign for Achievement Now, a nonprofit organization that works at the local level to advocate for a high-quality education for all kids, regardless of their address. We develop local education leaders by providing them with the research, tools and ideas needed to create learning environments that best meet every child’s needs. 50CAN has a national team based primarily in the DC area and operates campaigns in Connecticut, Delaware, Denver, Georgia, Hawaii, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
As a key member of the GeorgiaCAN team, the External Affairs Director is an experienced development professional that can draw upon their existing networks in the Georgia philanthropy sector. The ideal candidate is a great storyteller and is able to bring clarity, inspiration and persuasion to the development and communications aspect of GeorgiaCAN’s work. This person will collaborate with the national development director on metrics, grant reports and donor prospecting. The External Affairs Director will report directly to the executive director of GeorgiaCAN and collaborate closely with the national development team.
- Lead efforts to enhance and diversify the revenue streams that currently make the work of GeorgiaCAN possible via new individual, corporate and foundation relationships
- Schedule meetings, events and phone calls for executive director with current and potential funders
- Prepare and/or review grant proposals and reports
- Work with the 50CAN development team on metric tracking and the production of grant reports, prospect reports and other measures
- Regularly report pipeline and funder meetings to the national development director
- Attend monthly strategy and MOVES calls with executive director and national development director
- Work with national development director on any collateral needs
- Develop opportunities to communicate GeorgiaCAN’s mission to a wider audience, via events, earned media and social media
- Manage efforts to increase the organization’s social media visibility through content creation and regular engagement
- Assist with the production of external communications including the GeorgiaCAN website, e-newsletter, press releases, publications, reports and other electronic and printed materials
- Collaborate with the national communication and design teams to ensure content is aligned with 50CAN and GeorgiaCAN branding
- Expand GeorgiaCAN’s brand and audience
- Work closely with the executive director and state outreach director to set and meet organizational goals that will further position GeorgiaCAN as the premier education advocacy organization in Georgia
- Participate in board meetings and develop relationships with current board, deliver fundraising updates to the board as needed, support the identification of board prospects
- Identify opportunities and develop ways to maximize collaboration and coordination with external partners to deepen our influence with existing coalition partners
- A proven track record of executing fundraising strategy and tactics for non-profit and/or political fundraising
- Track record of delivering exceptional writing, and the ability to craft and deliver a strong message on the impact of GeorgiaCAN
- Familiarity with the following development and communications software/digital tools preferred: Bloomerang, FundraiseUp, DonorsChoose, MailChimp, SproutSocial and Canva
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with team members in a highly virtual office setting
- Relevant communications and marketing experience, including but not limited to the production of membership updates, press releases and social media content generation and management
- Understanding and embodiment of 50CAN’s core values (“PORCH”): plussing it, optimism, relentlessness, candor and humility
How to Apply:
This position is based in Atlanta, GA. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. 50CAN offers a comprehensive and robust benefits package.
50CAN is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.