The 50-State Campaign for Achievement Now is a nonprofit organization that works at the local level to advocate for a high-quality education for all kids regardless of their address. We help develop local education leaders by providing them with the research, tools and ideas needed to create learning environments that best meet every child’s needs. 50CAN operates campaigns in Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, New Jersey, New Mexico, and Tennessee. With affiliates in Maryland, South Carolina, New York and Miami. It has a national headquarters in Washington, D.C. and is led by CEO & Founder Marc Porter Magee.
About the Job
As part of 50CAN’s national team, the Development Associate will research and assist in implementing strategies, tools and projects that will bolster 50CAN’s local and national fundraising efforts. This position reports to the Chief of Staff.
- Conduct top-notch, thoughtful and thorough foundation and individual prospect research and provide succinct research briefs to staff
- Write on-message grant documents (LOIs, proposals, reports)
- Consistently monitor existing donors, building understanding of donor priorities and potential for upgraded gifts
- Assist national and state staff in the creation of customized branded materials for meetings with foundations and individual donors/prospects and for events (PowerPoint presentations, one-pagers, brochures, etc.)
- Manage efficient and error-free system for donation processing for all fundraising
- Coordinate workflow of fundraising initiatives throughout the organization to ensure each project is completed in an accurate and timely manner
Key Skills, Abilities and Experience:
- Minimum two years experience in fundraising and/or the nonprofit sector
- Strong research instincts and demonstrated research outcomes; experience gathering and interpreting donor data
- Strong people skills with a disposition towards solving tough problems
- Supremely organized; systems-thinker; exhaustive and unwavering attention to detail
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Proficiency in Google applications and Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Commitment to 50CAN’s mission
- Sense of humor, “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude and willingness to do “whatever it takes”
- Experience with fundraising tool “Raiser’s Edge”
- Understanding of major issues in education policy and ability to talk and write about advocacy
- Experience with political campaigns, electoral work and/or political giving
Position is based in Washington D.C. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. 50CAN offers a comprehensive benefits package.
50CAN is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.